Saturday, October 20, 2007

Poetry Time--Pantoum

Having created my blog, I sat down to think what I could post. I was reminded of all the short stories I had written, but the one that comes to my mind is the PANTOUM. I had written a pantoum for a writing workshop at Wright State University, in the summer of 2006.
For those of you not familiar with a pantoum--here's what it is:

A pantoum is a form of poetry, which is composed of a 4 stanzas/quatrains. The length of the lines in a pantoum is the composer's or poet's chocie. The interesting part of a pantoum is the repetitive nature of some of its lines. The alternate lines in a pantoum rhyme (abab rhyme scheme).
The pattern of line-repetition in a traditional pantoum is as follows:
Line nos
First Stanza/Quatrain 1 2 3 4
Second Stanza 2 5 4 6
Third Stanza 5 7 6 8
Fourth Stanza 9 3 10 1

To make the composition of a pantoum more intereresting, you can ask your friend or anyone to give you 6-7 words (preferably nouns) of their choice. They can be unrelated words. Your task lies in using all the 6-7 words and weaving a meaningful pantoum. Here's the one I had written titled "IN TWO MINDS." Take a look at it, and let me know what you think.

The 6 words that were given to me were: Spatula, Honolulu, Cerulean, Bok-Choy, Eggplant, Hollandaise.

In my hand I held a spatula
And my mind mulled over what to cook
It was filled with nothing else
But Oh! the sounds and sights of sweet Honolulu

And my mind mulled over what to cook
All I could see was the cerulean sea
But Oh! the sounds and sights of sweet Honolulu
Should I chop and slice the bok-choy greens

All I could see was the cerulean sea
And a fleet of boats on a fishing spree
Should I chop and slice the bok-choy greens
Or stew eggplant in hollandaise

My mind, oh! my silly mind
It was filled with nothing else
Have to cook and have to serve
In my hand I held a spatula


Hope you enjoyed reading mine. I'd be glad to see your comments. If you'd like to try writing a pantoum on your own, here are 10 words from which you can pick atleast 6 to start with.

Paris, Chilli, Pin, Yellow, Gum, Camera, Rose, Circus, Pasture, Shirt.

Good Luck!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice one! Keep going ...

మృగతృష్ణ said...

Thank you very much for introducing what a pantoum is. I felt really excited by the fact that i too could make one, that too very easily although i just used your pantoum's skeleton. I owe the credit of my first pantoum to SriSri - the author of this blog. Here it comes:

In my hand I held a camera
and my mind mulled over what to click
It was filled with nothing else
But oh! the beauty and might of great paris

And my mind mulled over what to click
All i could see was the rose garden
But oh! the beauty and might of great paris
Should i wait for that girl in yellow

All i could see was the rose garden
And the circus of kids on holiday spree
Should i wait for that girl in yellow
Or could i pin a few more brunettes

My mind, oh! my silly mind
It was filled with nothing else
Have to frame a lot more pastures
In my hand i held a camera

SriSri said...

Good work Mrigatrishna. Thanks for trying and coming out with something really nice.

sreeniyaparla said...

hhhm nice pantoum

Unknown said...

Hey Sridevi,
Very nice. You rock girl. Keep going..

we met in Dayton when you were MS there. Remember Peppertree vilas!

Anonymous said...

Hey! :)

We just launched Schaumburg bookoo - it's a massive online yard sale for Schaumburg and surrounding areas.- Thousands of people buying and selling used stuff from each other, in a fun, family-friendly way! :)

We're getting the word out to some local bloggers, and would like to send you a free bookoo t-shirt (no strings attached!). If you would like a free t-shirt, will you send me an email at kellin@bookoo.com with your address and shirt size? I'll get it out to you right away!

Check out the website:

http://schaumburg.bookoo.com/


Thanks!